Thursday, November 29, 2007

ICL will be a big gain for Indian cricket-Inzamam ul Haq

The Indian Cricket League is the kind of tournament that will benefit everybody. Particularly, it will be a big gain for Indian cricket. It will be a great opportunity for the young cricketers to learn by playing alongside international players. It will be a unique experience for them, which would hold them in good stead for the future. They will get to know what big-game pressure is all about, and how to keep their calm in such situations.

I didn't join the ICL for money. I liked the concept, and also the noble motive of the organisers, which I think will only be beneficial both for the players and the game. There are many talented players all around, but not all get the right kind of opportunities. This tournament will give them the perfect exposure, besides getting them good money for their efforts.

I really can't fathom the reason why this is called a 'rebel' tournament. I sincerely feel such efforts should be encouraged by the cricket boards, not threatened. It's short-sightedness on their part. For, such tournaments will only help in creating a bigger talent pool, and that should be a welcome thing for any cricket board, be it the Pakistan Cricket Board or the BCCI.

I will be leading the Hyderabad Heroes, and believe me, it has been an enriching experience for me over the last few days. There is so much talent in this side. They have so much enthusiasm and are willing to work extra to reach their goals. I have been particularly impressed by Ambati Rayudu and Anirudh Singh. They both are class players.

This is only the first year, and I am really optimistic about the future. The arrangements have been fantastic, and God willing, we should have a great tournament. We will gradually see more and more players coming in, and more people participation. I can't wait for the event to start. I pray it lives up to the expectations and serves its purpose.

No comments: